Where are you lookin at going? I need to plan my last summer vacation… Which I intend to make a kick ass climbing trip.
everywhere. I want to go everywhere. just finished watching “23 Feet”, and I want to go everywhere.
trips in the spring will probably be local-ish, so Grayson Highlands State Park for some bouldering and Red River Gorge/New River Gorge for sport. it’ll be hard to get time off from work, so I’m not sure if I’ll make those trips.
but the big one, the one I’m building up in my mind, is Colorado at the end of May/start of June. I wanna go to Vail for Teva Mountain Games so badly. I would love to compete in the bouldering comp (not the world cup obviously…just the citizens comp). and of course, I wanna just climb. hike and climb and camp. 10 days would be lovely. I think I’m saving all my “hey boss can I take off a few days” requests for this one. convincing my parents will be a different beast all together.
had a good workout today. didn’t climb very well, but the post-climbing abs/upperbody workout was solid. feeling stronger, but not necessarily climbing-wise. I need to strike a good balance between routes, bouldering, system board, and regular workouts. still trying to figure all that out.
I wanted to cook real food tonight and eat something deliciously healthy. but I got home late. so I’ll throw that workout out the window and just eat some leftover chinese food.
gonna watch “23 Feet” and deal with the epic wanderlust it’s going to generate. oh well. I was gonna wait for E to come back from Jersey to watch it, but I’m not sure when she’s coming back…can’t do that, just gotta watch.
no real organization to the workout this morning. I can max out at 15 pullups, which I think is a bit weak actually. I did two sets of 15, one of 10, and managed 8 at the end of the day with 25 pounds of weight on me. so that’s not bad. did some pushups throughout to help with the elbow pain.
also did some abs, really need to get stronger there.
I really really need to do non-climbing exercises to get better at climbing. I’ve got decent strength, but improvements can be made for sure.
I caught one of Josh’s falls, and we collided crazy hard in mid-air. his elbow/forearm went full-force into my neck, and the whole thing was numb for a while…now it just hurts and is starting to bruise. ugh it was such a good catch too! just an unfortunate collision. oh well four days off from climbing now. but probably going to a regular gym with my cousins tomorrow morning, gonna see what my max pullups are at now lol
15. What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
I really have no idea! definitely the toughest one I’ve had to answer yet. I know most people probably do not spend 99% of their free time at the climbing gym. most people probably do not sing harmonies to songs on their ipod outloud on the metro. most people probably do not dream of driving across the country just to climb rocks and surf waves. I’m going to think more about this question and get back to it later methinks!
3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do? because society dictates it. sad but true fact. so many of us, myself include, feel pressure to be “successful”, i.e. get a good job, make money, raise a family, etc. and why do we like so many things we don’t do? because it’s in our nature to dream. again, I feel like part of society dictates that we want what we don’t have…but I think it goes deeper than that. things we don’t do represent goals and aspirations - things that our mundane everyday lives cannot provide us with. therefore we desire them, place them on a pedestal, love them. maybe we get lucky and actually get to experience those things…but oftentimes, I feel like we don’t.
31. At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?
climbing. always feel that way while climbing. recently, there have been two occasions - 1. while on the system board, working moves on holds I would generally avoid; 2. my last go on my project (last night0 - I felt so strong and so fluid, it was an amazing go. I didn’t send, but everything felt smooth, efficient, and easy - the big moves at the top, I definitely felt alive, and lowering after clipping the shuts, I definitely was feeling passionate!
1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? probably the same age I actually am! right around 23. I mean, I’ve got a constant and consistent case of wanderlust. all I want to do is climb. I want to dirtbag it out of my car ( :’[ ) somewhere in Colorado or (preferably) California. surf, climb, play music…that would be the life. I didn’t have these dreams when I was younger (didn’t have the same experiences) and I feel like they’ll dissipate a bit as I get older (growing up and such). the next 5 or 6 years of my life will be (I hope) totally and completely awesome, cause I’ll actually have the freedom I dream about!
10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things? I’m most concerned with doing the right things. I want to live a life that’s filled with positive energy, and being a good person is totally central to that. and I also feel that doing the right things will encompass doing things right.
How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
Which is worse, failing or never trying?
If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?
When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?
What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?
Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do?
If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?
Would you break the law to save a loved one?
Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?